The world’s forests are precious and delicate ecosystems that give humanity so much. We should work together to protect and treasure our forests.
Calling all ocean lovers, it’s time to act against seabed mining
Phil McCabe, chairperson of Kiwis Against Seabed Mining (KASM), writes an open letter to the world’s ocean lovers. It’s a call to join the fight to stop the destruction of New Zealand’s coastal environment, home to a wide variety of marine life.
If you were a diver, a surfer, a sailor, or maybe a fisherman, or someone who buys fresh fish at a local market. If you were a person who spends summer days at the beach with your family, or goes for sunset walks along the coastal walkway and enjoys dining al fresco overlooking the sea. If you were a person with a connection to a particular area of the ocean and your way of life depended, at least in part, on the health of that area, what would you do if a group of people came to your place and said they wanted to do something that degraded that area of the ocean, within which you have enjoyed these activities as long as you can remember as did your ancestors?
What if they said they wanted to start mining 50 million tonnes of seabed sediment every year for 20 or 35 years? They would suck up 8,000 tonnes of seabed material every hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They would separate out the 10 per cent that they want and then spit the other 90 per cent as waste tailings back down a pipe into the marine environment smothering live reefs and creating a constant and large plume.
To top it off they wouldn’t bring the valuable stuff to shore for processing, creating jobs, they would keep it simple and ship it straight off to the international market so quick as possible, they make piles of money for their already obscenely wealthy shareholders.
How would you feel? What would you do? Well, a group of coastal communities along the west coast of New Zealand’s North Island are facing just this, and they need your help. A foreign owned company has applied to mine a 65 square kilometre area 20 kilometres off the coast and the New Zealand Environmental Protection Authority has already begun the application process. The same company was denied the same application in the same location just two years ago based on lack of proof that their proposal would “safeguard the life-supporting capacity of the environment”. But the company is back and the communities are once again fighting them.
Kiwis Against Seabed Mining (KASM) have rallied their ocean loving communities once again in their call to stop the destruction of their local ocean environment which is home to a wide variety of marine life including the critically endangered Maui Dolphin and the largest animals to ever grace the planet, blue whales.
New Zealand is a country that the international community looks to for leadership in environmental stewardship. However, the current government has lost sight of long held values of the people from the beautiful South Pacific nation and is pushing for this experimental and destructive activity against popular opinion.
When you make a submission from outside New Zealand you are speaking on behalf of the international community and holding the New Zealand government to account for their decisions. You are also sending a message to the burgeoning international seabed mining industry that they are being watched and us, ocean lovers, will not sit quietly while they scheme to wreak havoc on the world’s oceans.
You can support the cause by making a submission no matter where on Earth you are. Submissions close on Friday 14th of November New Zealand time.
Quest'opera è distribuita con Licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Non opere derivate 4.0 Internazionale.
It has taken 15 years of negotiations but the world’s governments have finally reached an agreement to protect the oceans and the high seas.
The extent of sea ice in Antarctica reached a new record low on 21st February 2023.
Communities in Kwa-Zulu Natal have been at loggerheads with Tendele Coal Mine over land destruction, water pollution and the killing of activists.
BNP Paribas has been sued by three French NGOs. This lawsuit marks the first time ever that a commercial bank is sued over its fossil fuel financing.
There are still a lot of unknowns regarding last month’s train derailment in Ohio, especially in terms of its consequences on the environment and health.
Nicole Menemene founded Plastycor to help fight plastic pollution, inspiring women and young people to join the cause and protect the environment.
Assam state in north-east India has won international appreciation for its successful efforts to stop rhino poaching, with zero deaths recorded in 2022.
The Po river basin, vital to part of Italy’s agriculture, is already in crisis: without rain in March or April, the drought will be worse than last year.