Store
Trees
Iniziatives

Trees

All the projects that safeguard trees and forests, and create awareness

LifeGate proposes that businesses participate in environmental projects to demonstrate a concrete commitment towards guaranteeing future generations a planet rich in nature and biodiversity.

We offer a wide range of projects: from educational projects addressed to children, in order to inform them about environmental justice; urban renewal projects, aimed at urban renovation and the creation of green areas; to projects for the protection of mature forests, essential for CO2 retention, biodiversity conservation and the use of seeds, fruits and wood.

Little Ambassadors for Climate

Discovering and nurturing passions from an early age is fundamental. “Little Ambassadors for Climate” is LifeGate’s initiative aimed at raising children’s awareness about the environment in a new, simple and fun way.

What it is

It is a day of games, education, entertainment that will put children to the test.

It is a day characterised by moments of reflection and practical activities (from planting trees to educational games to better understand sustainability issues). Children will have the possibility of learning about problems threatening the environment and put into practice their knowledge and creativity, guided by young experts who have participated in similar initiatives in the past.

To find out when the next Little Ambassadors for Climate academic day will be held or to sign your children up, please write to [email protected] or call +39 02 36753606.

Green Km

The project

Over 750 plants have been planted in a one-kilometre-long area in Milan, Italy. The restoration of the Alzaia Naviglio Grande (the canal’s towpath), a historical site of the city of Milan, began in April 2012. A small green lung composed of native shrubs: hawthorns, privets, blackthorns, wild roses, viburnums. Some shrubs even have their own personal names: those of people who have adopted them.

 

Thanks to LifeGate you can personally join the initiative, by adopting and dedicating plants to anyone you want. You can do even more: tell the company you work in about the project, inviting them to donate plants to employees’ newborns.

To join the project or to obtain further information, please write to [email protected].

Due to interventions for Expo 2015 in the area, it is currently not possible to access the Green Km and plant adoptions are suspended. However, LifeGate is authorised to carry out on-site visits in order to verify that such interventions are not damaging plants already adopted by citizens and businesses.

Stand Up Forests

LifeGate participates in the safeguarding of 560 hectares of the Brazilian part of the Amazon rainforest. The Brazilian government has assigned the area to 27 families of the San Pedro community, who participate in the project by raising awareness amongst citizens through activities geared towards preventing and contrasting deforestation, arson, illegal hunting activities and other environmental crimes.

Objectives and activities

Despite the fact that Brazilian law formally guarantees that 80% of the forest remain untouched by human exploitation, lack of resources such as public funding and personnel means that this portion of the forest is not granted with real protection. In order to stop this phenomenon from seriously threatening the forest’s integrity, it is necessary to take action: through surveillance activities, mapping of the forest’s resources, raising awareness and encouraging environmental education in San Pedro and surrounding communities.

Geographical and social context

The intervention area is located within the municipality of Silva, 340 kilometres from Manaus, capital of Amazonas State. The 41 communities residing in this area live off fishing and agriculture, ustilising local resources to survive without being able to generate enough income to improve their conditions. The San Pedro community, along the Igarapé Capivara River, is composed of 27 families: nearly 150 people.

 

 

The lands assigned

San Pedro community recently entered the State’s land distribution plans. The State has assigned a total of 1,350 hectares, 50 hectares per family. 20% can be utilised for agricultural activities and resource exploitation, while the remaining 80% has to remain untouched according to law, and families have to protect it from risks. Lands are assigned by the Land Institute of Amazonas State.

 

Wild Expedition

A thousand-mile journey into the heart of the Brazilian Amazon, in close contact with nature and local communities, in order to see protected areas first-hand thanks to LifeGate and Icei’s Stand Up Forests project.