Factory farming conditions and antibiotic-resistant pathogens emerging as a result of them pose an existential threat to humans in the form of zoonotic diseases. Why it’s time to produce and consume food more thoughtfully.
19 European countries out of 28 say no to GMOs
19 countries of the European Union chose to ban GM crops. 3 October was the deadline to tell the European Commission whether to ban them or not.
Good news as regards GMOs in Europe. Two thirds of the EU countries, complying with the 2015/412 law, approved during last year’s Italian presidency, notified to the European Commission that they want to ban the cultivation of genetically modified organisms in their nation. These 19 countries are: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia, the UK on behalf of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and Belgium on behalf of Wallonia.
This request, which could be proposed until 3 October, concerns four types of GM crops: Monsanto Mon810, Pioneer TC1507, Syngenta GA21 and Bt11.
Up to now, growing Mon810 was illegal thanks to the so-called safety clause just in nine countries: Austria, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg and Poland.
According to Coldiretti, this is “a demonstration of the increasing rejection of growing GMOs in most European countries. The lands where GM crops are cultivated are not so few compared to all lands, but they decreased by 3 percent in 2014, proving the increasing skepticism on a technology that doesn’t keep promises, according to the analysis of the 2014 report of the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications. In Europe, in 2014, the land cultivated with GMOs accounted just for 143,016 hectares of corn Bt in 5 EU countries. Moreover, up to 92 percent (i.e. 131,538 hectares) of the European biotech corn is grown in Spain, while the remaining 8 percent is cultivated in Portugal, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Romania”.
On 26 October, the European Parliament will vote for the Commission’s proposal aiming to give the EU countries the opportunity to introduce an exclusion clause for the import of GM animal feeds, even though they have been approved by the EFSA, the European Food Security Agency.
Quest'opera è distribuita con Licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Non opere derivate 4.0 Internazionale.
The world of cinema recognises the link between food choices and the climate crisis by offering vegan menus for awards season events, including at the most important of them all: the Oscars.
Let’s look at the reasons behind the growth of veganism in India, as a small yet vocal section of the population turns towards this diet and lifestyle in the largest milk producing country in the world.
In an increasingly uncertain world, we need food production systems that can cope with dramatic climatic variations, provide nutritious diets, and build the resilience of communities and landscapes.
Mint has many health benefits, but in food it’s often accompanied by artificial green colourings. Instead, Galatea has created a green mint ice cream in a completely natural way.
We’re talking about Galatea, a company that produces semi-finished products for artisanal ice creams using high quality ingredients, natural colouring, excluding thickeners and hydrogenated fats, respecting the environment and supporting the less fortunate.
The mad rush to fake food, like fake meat made with genetically-modified soy, ignores the importance of the diversity of our foods and culinary cultures. It’s a recipe to accelerate the destruction of the Planet and our health.
Like with all foods, the quality of an ice cream can be discerned by reading its label. An expert explains how to do this, and tells us how their company steers clear of chemicals, using only natural ingredients to produce an excellent and “free” ice cream.
Quality ingredients, no artificial colouring and hydrogenated fats. These are the main features of a great ice cream. But what makes an ice cream parlour “good”, i.e. sustainable?