An investigation by the Guardian reveals the staggering number of deaths among migrant workers in Qatar on building sites for the 2022 World Cup.
Nigeria, Boko Haram extremists commit another massacre: victims burnt alive
Almeno 86 persone sono state uccise dal gruppo integralista islamico Boko Haram. Tre donne kamikaze si sono fatte esplodere.
The death toll still remains not definite, but at least 86 people were killed in Nigeria, on Saturday evening, 30th January, during a terror attack carried out by the extremist Islamic group Boko Haram. The scene of the massacre was the village of Dalori, twelve kilometres from Maiduguri, in the North-East of the country.
“Children burnt alive”
Three female suicide bombers started mingling with people and then they blew themselves up. As Mustapha Anka, a spokesperson for Negeria’s army, said the assailants arrived “in two cars and on motorcycles, they opened fire then set light to homes”.
Boko Haram extremists firebomb huts, burning people to death including children, says witness: https://t.co/oTmcZeyz4i
— The Associated Press (@AP) 31 Gennaio 2016
When they arrived “many people ran to the bush including myself,” said one of the villagers to AP. “When we came back in the morning the entire community had been razed”. According to international media, many victims – including children – were burnt to death.
Boko Haram’s choice of attacking Maiduguri area is anything but random. The city counts 1.6 million inhabitants, 1.6 million of which are refugees who fled their homes due to the advance of the terroristic organisation.
What is Boko Haram
Boko Haram has been operational in Nigeria since 2002. Its name literally means “Western education is forbidden”. In 2009, the repression carried out by authorities led to an open conflict: in June police forces killed 15 members of the organization, which reacted with a real insurrection that killed more than 800.
The group members use to refer to by themselves as “yusufiyas”, named after the organisation’s founder and spiritual father, Ustaz Muhammad Yusuf, Sunni man that studied theology at the University of Medina, Saudi Arabia, and that was captured and executed by Nigerian authorities in 2009. According to Marc-Antoine Pérouse de Montclos, French researcher and specialist of Nigeria, Yusuf considered Western culture as more lethal than Crusades to the Islamic world.
[NewsUpdate] Over 100 feared killed as Boko Haram burns kids alive in Borno https://t.co/hXGDb1HhVm
— Nigeria News Mag (@NigeriaNewsMag) 31 Gennaio 2016
Attacks and victims in Chad
2009 was the very year in which Boko Haram chose the path of terrorism. Many heads hide in neighbouring countries, waiting for reorganising themselves. It’s no coincidence that the group is currently active in Chad, country that has been hit by 2 attacks on Sunday: at least 3 people were killed and 56 wounded in the cities of Guié and Miterine. This area already declared the state of emergency in order to try to fight jihadist attacks.
Recent attacks by Boko Haram in Nigeria show that its hold is still strong. A look at the history and current status of the the extremist terrorist group.
The attack by the Mai-Mai militia which resulted in six Virunga National Park rangers losing their lives isn’t an isolated incident.
Activists hail the decision not to hold the 2023 World Anthropology Congress at a controversial Indian school for tribal children as originally planned.
This year has changed the face of humanity but could also mark the end of an unsustainable lifestyle. We look back at the top 10 news stories of 2020.
In Coronation, a documentary filmed by the people of Wuhan, the dissident Chinese artist documents the government’s rigid control during lockdown.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi’s biography is tied with that of her parents and the history of Myanmar (formerly Burma). A story marked by nationalism, Western influence and compromises with the military.
The story of Ang Rita Sherpa, the first person in the world to climb Mount Everest 10 times without supplemental oxygen, who died aged 72.
Photojournalist Livio Senigalliesi tells his story, from the Yugoslav Wars to the Balkan Route. And through two videos, one created with journalist Raffaele Masto.