Paul Watson is the founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society – a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting marine wildlife worldwide. Over the years, Captain Watson has exhibited a remarkable diversity in his activism, including:
- Co-founder of Greenpeace in 1972 and Greenpeace International in 1979
- Founder of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in 1977
- Field Correspondent for Defenders of Wildlife, from 1976 to 1980
- Field representative for the Fund for Animals from 1978 to 1981
- Representative for the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals in 1979
- Co-founder of Friends of the Wolf in 1984
- Co-founder of Earthforce Environmental Society in 1977
- Director of the National Board of the Sierra Club USA from 2003 to 2006
At Sea Shepherd Watson has served as master and commander on seven different ships since 1978. Now he continues to lead Sea Shepherd campaigns to protect defenseless marine wildlife around the world.
"I have been honored to serve the whales, dolphins, seals - and all the other creatures on this Earth. Their beauty, intelligence, strength, and spirit have inspired me. If the whales survive and flourish, if the seals continue to live and give birth, and if I can contribute to ensuring their future prosperity, I will be forever happy."